15 March, 2010

Yoga and sports


Last Saturday, i held my tennis racquet after a gap of almost 10 years. i love the game i picked up in school and continued playing till college, and would definitely like to keep going. The reason why i m writing this and its connection to yoga i chanced upon when i was giving my first session of play (after a long sabbatical) an after thought.

All those who have played tennis or any other sport for that matter must know that it requires a lot of strength, stamina, reflexes, concentration, co-ordination etc. My first day of play was a surprise to me, i m not saying that i was hitting aces and winners, i could barely connect at first but i observed a few interesting things.

- my reflex action was quicker
- my shoulder and arm strength had improved
- my wrists felt stronger
- my racquet was less wobbly while doing strong volleys
- the day after soreness was NOT there
- i was covering the court well and anticipating better
- i was less breathless

All this after 10 years of not playing!!! I attribute this solely to my yoga practice (yoga lifestyle, asanas, pranayamas, concentration). So i firmly believe that whatever you are doing in the world in any field and all sport, yoga can help you get BETTER.

ps: above is a pic of Rafa Nadal one of the best amongst the current players

No comments: