20 January, 2008

Mumbai Marathon


Today the 20th January, 2008, Mumbai played host to one of the biggest marathons in the world - The Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon, 2008. Though I was not a part of it, my husband was; and i feel very happy that he could finish the 21 kms half marathon without a very disciplined practice.

I was being a part of the festive atmosphere of the marathon by gluing myself in front of the television and I was pleasantly happy to see Milind Soman (remember his name is in the list of famous Indian vegetarians, i blogged abt a few days back?) running fittingly to the finish line like a true professional. That strengthens my case for vegetarianism. Also the marathon was inaugurated by another one of my famous vegetarians, John Abraham.

There is also another reason why i am blogging about this. Yes, the role of yoga in a runners' life. A few yoga stretches and pranayamas before the marathon can improve your running ability as the muscles and joints become supple, blood circulation efficient and the chest muscles used for breathing warmed up. Remember that apart from the limb strength, you need a good lung capacity to be able to sustain yourself over a long period without having drastic changes in physiology (read blood pressure, extreme breathlessness, in certain cases even cardiac arrest). I can also not undermine the importance of yoga stretched after you finish the run followed by conscious relaxation (savasana). So all those who prefer going for jogs in the mornings, try this and see yourself improving.

Cheers!!

No comments: