17 September, 2007

Being Grateful

Yesterday, I took the 1.01 local to Churchgate. At Mahim station, a young lady came in and sat opposite me. She was walking with crutches as she had lost a leg. As we reached dadar, she asked me whether the next station would be Lower Parel. "No, it's Elphinstine rd", I said thinking she wanted to get down at Lower Parel. As I got ready to disembark, she also came. I told her it was not her station. She said she wanted to get down at Dadar (the previous station) but she couldn't climb the bridge so she's coming ahead & taking a train back from the same platform!!!! "Oh ok", I managed to say and went my way.

It set me thinking..... We complain for such small things in life whereas she had to make extra effort for everything. Do we have a right to keep complaining???

Try to count your blessings and be grateful for what nature has given you. In the yogic texts, this concept of contentment (santosha) is mentioned as one of the observances (niyamas - 2nd step in the eight-fold path). It gives us mental peace & keeps us and the people around us happy.

No comments: