04 August, 2007

The Diamond / Complete Supta Vajrasana


  • Stand on your knees. Put your palms on your back & start bending backwards.
  • Arch back & put the palms on the floor.
  • Lower your head & put your elbows down.
  • Try to take the head as close to your feet as possible.
  • You can also use the wall to lower yourself down. Put your palms on the wall first & slowly walk them down to the floor.

    I still have a lot of scope for improvement in this pose. It’s quite a challenging pose & gave me confidence after I achieved this much. Try it only if you are an intermediate student but after a good session of asanas. It gives tremendous compression in the back so relaxation is very important after doing it. It tones up the entire spinal region & gives good circulation to the pelvic organs. However, it should not be attempted by anyone with an ailment or condition like blood pressure, hernia, cardiac problem etc.

    The pose is also given in these books: The Sivananda Companion to Yoga, Light on Yoga by BKS Iyengar

5 comments:

YOGA IN EVERYTHING said...

is that u doing the diamond on the sidebar, to the right? wow, that is great execution! U don't need me to teach u advanced poses! Au contraire:)

Salomi Shah Sheth said...

ya thats me :-). thank you so much but there is a lot of scope for improvement in all areas for which i m trusting on you to guide me

Anonymous said...

Well, i was not aware of this Asana.I don't remembering in any of the books i have seen.
But as Shameem Akhtar praises the pose , i must congratulate you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Salomi,

I like your blog. Good information,
I like your thoughts on freedom. I came across similar thoughts from a great musician Duke Elington when he received Presidential Award of Freedom. I will send that to Sushama she will send it to you.

All the best.

Paresh

Unknown said...

where r ur classes?